April 19th 12-2pm, Botanical Bundle Dye Workshop
Please join me for a "Botanical Bundle Dye Workshop" in Montrose, California just north of Glendale.
This workshop will introduce you to the magical alchemy of dye plants! Did you know that you can preserve beautiful plant color on fabric? Colors will be extracted from blooms, roots, leaves and even food waste!
Learn the art of bundle dyeing in this two-hour workshop led by Jessica Unsell in her home studio. You'll gain an understanding of how to work with natural dyes as you explore the water-friendly technique of bundle dyeing. Students 18+
Refreshments and light snacks will be provided. No previous dyeing experience necessary!
What you'll learn:
- An introduction to natural dye plants and textile preparation (scouring & mordant)
- An introduction to protein-based and cellulose-based fibers
- An overview of natural dye-stuff including dried and homegrown flowers, wild forged cochineal, food waste, store-bought dye extracts and much more!
- We will focusing on sustainability, local plants & food waste, including a tour of my small dye garden
- A dye technique that is water wise and truly magical!
- A dye technique that can bring new life to old garments by covering stains!
What you'll leave with:
- Each student will leave with their own bundle dyed composition piece (two cotton bandanas)
- The knowledge to create more pieces on your own!
- Resourceful website lists and instructional how-to guide
What to wear:
-Dyeing is a messy craft, so please wear an apron or smock or clothes/shoes that you don't mind getting drips or stains on
-Closed toes shoes are safest, as we will be working with hot pots
-Sunscreen and/or sunhat