Saturday June 20th 2-4pm, Shibori Tie Dye Workshop
Please join me for a "Shibori Tie Dye Workshop" in Montrose, California just north of Glendale.
This workshop will introduce you to to basics of shibori inspired folding and tie dyeing. We will create beautiful, geometric patterns on fabric using different types of resists.
Learn the art of shibori dyeing in this two-hour workshop led by Jessica Unsell in her home studio. You'll gain an understanding of how to work with natural dyes and create a stunning one-of-a-kind pattern!
Refreshments and light snacks will be provided. No previous dyeing experience necessary!
What you'll learn:
- An introduction to natural dye plants and textile preparation (scouring & mordant)
- An introduction to protein-based and cellulose-based fibers
- An overview of natural dye-stuff including dried and homegrown flowers, wild forged cochineal, food waste, store-bought dye extracts and much more!
- We will focusing on sustainability, local plants & food waste, including a tour of my small dye garden
- A dye technique that will unfold beautiful, geometric patterns right before your eyes!
What you'll leave with:
- Each student will leave with their own shibori dyed composition piece (we will dyetwo items per student)
- The knowledge to create more pieces on your own!
- Resourceful website lists and instructional how-to guide
What to wear:
-Dyeing is a messy craft, so please wear an apron or smock or clothes/shoes that you don't mind getting drips or stains on
-Closed toes shoes are safest, as we will be working with hot pots
-Sunscreen and/or sunhat